Assignment #3: Symphonie Fantastique
Listen to Symphonie Fantastique (Track 8 on CD)
Write a story to accompany the 1rst Movement of Berlioz’s “Symphonie
This story will be “presented” to the class.
In your story you should:
- Attach a “fixed idea” (character, plot event) to specific
musical themes or events.
- Create a “marker” list of specific cue points in your
- (ie. At “2:51" Xena politely disembowels Hercules
while filing her nails.)
- Hand in a written outline or final version of your story.
- Use at least 5 minutes of the Symphonie Fantastique either as one
complete section, or
You will be marked as follows:
Demonstration of knowledge of the “Symphonie Fantastique”
- accurate “marker” list. 10 Marks
- appropriate alignment of “fixed ideas” to story line,
characters, etc.15 Marks
- Coherence of story. (Does it make sense?) 10 Marks
- Overall Creativity and Impression of Story 15 Marks
TOTAL MARK = /50